Atlanta officer arrest repeated bank robbery suspect
On Tuesday, July 26, 2022, at around 5:00pm officers responded to Chase Bank at 1115 Howell Mill Rd NW for a report of a bank robbery. The units at the scene quickly began investigating and were able to identify a suspect vehicle on video.
The description of the vehicle, a white box truck, was broadcast to other units and it was located on Maple St in NW Atlanta. A Robbery Unit detective at the bank was also able to identify the suspect from surveillance video as someone involved in three similar robberies of banks at 1598 Piedmont Rd NE, 825 Martin L King Jr Dr SW, and 523 Luckie St this year.
Continuing to work through the night detectives obtained warrants for Beck’s arrest for the incident on Howell Mill and Luckie St early on July 27th. Once the arrest warrants were issued the Fugitive Unit quickly began working to arrest him. Using information developed by the Robbery Unit, Fugitive investigators found Beck at 55 Maple St at around 6am on the 27th and he was arrested. Robbery investigators were able to recover a number of items of evidence that linked Beck to the previous robberies.
The Department would like to recognize the exceptional work and coordination by the teams that brought this prolific criminal into custody.
• The Crime Scene Unit for their outstanding work in processing the various crime scenes, and finding, documenting, and recovering evidence central to the case.
• The Robbery Unit for relentlessly investigating the robberies and linking them to the same suspect.
• The Fugitive Unit for its dedication and expertise in quickly finding and arresting Beck.
• The patrol officers who initially responded to these incidents for their work in securing the scenes, getting descriptions broadcast, and documenting the information in a manner that laid a solid foundation for the detectives to build a case on.
The collective efforts of all these sectors of the Department made it possible to end this crime spree. Their efforts are in keeping with the highest traditions in police service and reflect great credit on themselves and the Atlanta Police Department. We believe it is a job well done.
Demetrius Beck, age 30 charged with Robbery, Terroristic Threats, and Criminal Damage to Property. Beck has at least 10 prior arrests including two for ATM break-ins in Brookhaven and Sandy Springs. Beck was out on bond from a previous offense at the time of his arrest and had still another warrant for an ATM theft at 711 Lee St.
• 221401014 825 MLK
• 221590249 711 Lee St
• 221920662 523 Luckie St NW
• 222031226 1598 Piedmont
• 222071428 1115 Howell Mill Rd NW