Body Cam Video Shows ‘Heroic' Effort by Dallas Officer, K-9 Partner in Shooting

pic By: ThisIsButter1 (10202.00) Views: 1891 Score: 5 Used: 0 Bookmark: 0 Shares: 51 Downloads: 10

Dallas Police released a body camera video Monday of the moment an officer and his K-9 partner were injured in a gun battle late last month that left another man dead.

In a press conference late Monday morning, Dallas Chief of Police Eddie Garcia went over the details of the incident and released the names of those involved. The body camera footage, meanwhile, has been posted on the department's YouTube page and can be seen here, though viewer discretion is advised.

At about 9:45 p.m. on April 27, Dallas police officers were dispatched to a family violence call at a home on the 2900 block of Cypress Avenue. That's where Garcia said 20-year-old Bryan Casillas shot two relatives after being confronted about loud music.

Though injured, the family members were able to lock themselves in a room where they called 911. After police arrived, they were hospitalized and treated for injuries that were not considered life-threatening.

Casillas, meanwhile, had left the home and Dallas Police had begun searching for him using a helicopter and ground teams, including Sr. Cpl. Scott Jay and his K-9 partner Figor.

Garcia said a 911 call came after midnight from a nearby home, about a man who was bleeding and knocking on the door. At about 2 a.m., officers found a shoe and a blood trail on the same street.

Jay and Figor followed the trail to a creek and located Casillas under a bridge. Garcia said as Figor moved toward Casillas, body camera footage showed him shooting the dog in the chest. The round exited the dog’s shoulder.

“The work of this dog that night is nothing short of heroic. Our K-9s are invaluable members of this police department and helped save his partner's life,” said Garcia. "He did everything he was trained to do and exceeded all expectations as a K-9 partner and as a member of the Dallas Police Department."

Casillas also fired rounds at Jay, hitting him in the legs and the center of his ballistic vest. Jay returned fire, hitting Casillas multiple times. Casillas was pronounced dead at the scene.

Despite being injured, Jay and his K-9 partner climbed out of the creek and received immediate first aid from other officers and Dallas Fire Rescue.

"However, having been shot in the chest and bleeding from a lower body gunshot wound, the commitment these two have to one another is unlike any other bond,” said Garcia.

The officer was taken to Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas for treatment and released. Figor was transported to an emergency veterinarian for treatment and released. The two were reunited with each other over the weekend, as shown in a tweet by Dallas Police on Monday morning.

Garcia said the officer is expected to complete his recovery in the next month and a half.

The investigation is ongoing and is being handled by the Dallas Police Department's Special Investigations Unit.

According to Garcia, the Dallas County District Attorney’s Office was notified and responded to the scene, and will conduct their own investigation. The Office of Community Police Oversight has also been notified.

kkno7e Copy
ThisIsButter1 (10202.00)

Comments: 1 - Login to add and view comments

Be the first one to fix this item!