7  

Space heater believed to have caused Kentwood fire that killed 2

pic By: ThisIsButter1 (2671.00) Views: 3379 Score: 7 Used: 0 Bookmark: 0 Shares: 8 Downloads: 22

New details are emerging about deadly fire in Kentwood that killed a 12-year-old and a 19-year-old early Monday morning.

Investigators now say they don't believe foul play was involved.

13 On Your Side has also obtained body cam video of first responders that helped on the scene.

Investigators with the Kentwood Fire Department say their initial investigation shows that the fire was accidental, and that they are looking into possible electrical issues after finding a space heater near where the fire started.

The fire happened just before 3:30 a.m. at a home in the 400 block of 48th Street SE.

Authorities say there were 11 people inside the home at the time. Tragically, only nine made it out safely.

According to family friends, the Silvas, the victims were 12-year-old Ashlee Duran and 19-year-old Nety Chavez. They say Chavez was a cousin visiting from Mexico.

Investigators say both girls were killed from smoke inhilation.

Shortly after the fire, the Silvas set up a GoFundMe account to raise money for the family's funeral expenses and funds to send the body of the 19-year-old girl back to her parents in Mexico.

In addition to the fundraiser, friends and loved ones are asking anyone with clothes, food and water to donate to the family as they lost everything in the fire.

ID
546jzt Copy
License
Unknown
Type
video
Duration
1:44
Date
Nov-30-2022
By
ThisIsButter1 (2671.00)

Comments: 5 - Login to add and view comments


Be the first one to fix this item!